Thursday, July 12, 2012

Module 4: Instructional Challenge

Marcus is a student who very frequently miscues by substituting words that start with the same letter or first few letters of the word in the text, but his substitutions often are not syntactically or semantically acceptable (they neither sound right grammatically nor make sense). What possible teaching strategies would you suggest to help Marcus?
After skimming back through chapter 10 I feel that this situation that Marcus is in is similar to the first reader characteristic that chapter 10 presents on page 244. My initial thinking to help Marcus would be to have him listen and follow along with books on tape. It seems that he needs to have several repeated readings to become familiar with the text. By listening and following along with the text he can easily hear and see the correct pronunciation of the words. I would also do a lot of individual conferences (both reading and writing) with Marcus. During this time I would have Marcus read aloud to me and whenever he had a miscue we would stop and discuss if the word he put in made sense based on the surrounding context of the text. This would help my judge if the miscue was semantic or syntactic. Then I could better design my instruction based on whether he needed more phonics work or additional work with discovering meaning. I would also have Marcus work within small groups or read with a partner and stop after each page to discuss what was read and record thinking. Mostly I think that Marcus needs more time just reading as much as he can. The more exposure to text and sustained reading the better reader he will become.  

No comments:

Post a Comment