Monday, June 11, 2012

Module 1: Activity 2

a. What is corandic?
Corandic is an emurient grof with many fribs.
b. What does corandic grank from?
Corandic granks from corite.
c. How do garkers excarp the tarances from the corite?
Garkers excarp the tarances by glarcking the corite and starping it in tranker-clarped storbs.
d. What does the slorp finally frast?
The slorp finally frast a pragety.
e. What is coranda?
Coranda is a cargurt, grinkling corandic and borigen.
f. How is the corandic nacerated from the borigrn?
The corandic is nacerated from the borigen by means of loracity.
g. What do the garkers finally thrap?
The garkers finally thrap a glick, bracht, glupous grapant, and corandic.
This activity made me laugh! I laughed not only because the words were silly but also because this is exactly what some of the “comprehension” questions are like in reading workbooks and on standardized test. In fact when teaching reading comprehension, when we came across these type of questions we called them “literal questions” because the answers were literally right in front of you. There really is no thinking to these questions. You need to use the passage to get the answer but the answers are right in the passage and almost ALWAYS the wording is the same or very similar. This, to me, is NOT comprehension. Reading comprehension is the ability to understand the meaning of the passage. After completing this activity I found that I still had no idea what this passage was about. The words did not make any sense to me. I used my reading skills to phonetically sound out the words in the passage and to also answers the questions (because I was able to match the words in the questions) but I did not comprehend what I was reading. To me comprehension questions are questions where the reader can prove their thinking and understanding rather than just recalling word-for-word information.

No comments:

Post a Comment