Monday, June 11, 2012

Module 1: Instructional Challenge

Hocked gems financing him, our hero defied the scornful laughter. “Think of it as an egg, not a table,” he said. Then three sturdy sisters sought proof, forging over vast calmness, and sometimes over turbulent peaks and valleys, until at last welcome winged creatures appeared, signifying monumental success.

1. What are the hocked gems?

I honestly have no idea what “hocked gems” are. However, by using my context clues I think I am going to come to the conclusion that the hocked gems are the enemy of the hero. I concluded this by reading the line “our hero defied the scornful laughter.” This told me that the hero was ignoring the insults which lead me to the conclusion that the hocked gems were somehow mocking the hero and therefore could be considered the enemy.

2. What should we think of as an egg and not a table?

I am not sure whether to think of this as an object or an idea. Nothing in the passage is giving me clues as to what they are trying to protect. Unless, the “egg” is the hero. I believe what they passage is trying to say is that we don’t want to break this because it currently cannot stand on its own (like a table); It is fragile like an egg.

3. Who are the three sturdy sisters?

Again, I am at a loss for what the sturdy sisters are. I am not really into Greek mythology which I believe this passage could be from. However, the sturdy sister must be some sort of protective transportation system. From my knowledge they seem to be the ones bringing the “egg” to its resting place. They were to think of whatever they had as an egg that is fragile and easily broken. Therefore, they must be really careful when seeking their proof. If I were to guess at what the sturdy sister were I were to guess they were some sort of flying creature because the passage is saying how they “[forged] over vast calmness and sometimes over turbulent peaks and valleys.”

4. What kind of winged creatures appeared?

Yes, still drawing a blank on this one as well. I am assuming that this winged creature signifies success in Greek mythology but I again have very little, almost no, schema on this. Im assuming these creatures are birds because I know birds have wings. However, I am not sure of the type or specific bird that appeared.


If I were to complete this assignment with my students I would feel that we would have to do a study on Greek mythology. From what little schema I have about Greek mythology I can speculate that this passage is taken from one of those myths. Greek mythology has a lot of symbolic creatures and my students would need to have the background knowledge of this in order to try to comprehend this passage. For me, I do not have much schema on Greek mythology so it was hard for me to get meaning out of this passage. However, I did use what schema I had in combination with context clues to gain the little understanding I could.
I feel that when students’ don’t have a certain schema is best that they be at least introduced. I know that a lot of lessons open with background knowledge that students MUST have in order to continue with the lesson. If they do not have this background knowledge the rest of the lesson will be difficult if not impossible for them to understand. Another way to bridge the gap with students who don’t seem to have the necessary schema is to always allow opportunity for research. They best way for students to learn is through curiosity and allowing students the opportunity to research about something they are unsure about will really help them.
I don’t feel that students need to spend a lot of time on text that they have little to no schema with. However, going back to the research, I definitely think students need the opportunity to dive into text they may or may not have schema about. Students need the opportunity for exploration and that chance for curiosity. If they are always exposed to text that they have the schema for then we are preventing them from building more.

No comments:

Post a Comment