I am honestly really torn between whether I would call these children proficient or non-proficient readers. I am leaning more towards non-proficient readers because there are a lot of syntactic and semantic errors within these miscues. Also, I am leaning towards calling these children non-proficient readers because there is no evidence of their understanding of the meaning of these sentences. However, I can see how these children’s miscues could have meaning for them. I find this a lot within my classroom as well that home dialect is very different from school dialect. Some of these miscues indicate to me that these children are using the context to determine words and also making a connection with the text to their personal dialect. Thus, resulting in a miscue, but, still able to make sense of the sentence. So again, I feel as if we need more to determine whether these children are proficient or non-proficient readers.
When teaching these children I would definitely make it a point to say that there is home language and then there is school language. I believe I would begin with that and also provide some examples of home/social language verses school language. Then I think I would use the miscues to formulate my grammar lessons/ mini-lessons. I am not sure I would correct the students right away as this might leave them with the sense that they are wrong/ incorrect when if they are understanding the text how can I tell them they are reading incorrectly especially knowing that reading is thinking and understanding the meaning of the text rather than phonetically sounding out the words on the page. But I think my number one teachable moment would be the fact that there are social languages and school/ Standard English language.
No comments:
Post a Comment